Friday, May 30, 2008
Emily as a Driver
So we had our first driver's ed. meeting this week. We got all the information about the process in our state. Emily starts driver's ed. June 16, the week after school gets out. They start driving on the first day, so I decided to get her behind the wheel in the big parking lot of the middle school up the street from us. She did really well, actually. She's a little nervous about driving, but as I told her, that's not really a bad thing as long as she doesn't freak out. She could pull into a parking spot with our van and get in between the lines, which, as she pointed out, was better than some of the parking jobs people do at the grocery store. She made it up to about 25 mph tops going around the lot. I forgot to have her practice turning the car on and off, which seems so simple, but actually is bad if you do things out of order. I had to teach her to only use her right foot on the pedals, hands at 10 and 2, etc. Her experience is so different than mine because I was driving myself to school (and driver's ed) with a stick-shift car at age 14. We just had a lot more opportunity on a farm to drive. Overall, she did really well, and asked to go out again. This time I may ask Mike to go with her - he's a better driver than me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment