Friday, December 14, 2007

An Unfortunate Tumble

I was coming out of a restaurant yesterday, and while walking down about 10 concrete steps, I tripped and fell down, twisting my right foot backwards and sideways. The pain was excruciating for about 5 minutes, and all I could so was sit on the steps and catch my breath. Thankfully, the ankle and foot didn't swell up. I made it home OK (drove with my left foot) and after two phone calls to the doctor's office, decided to wait overnight to see if it would improve. Mike helped out and made dinner last night, cleaned up the kitchen, and shooed the boys to bed.

I went to school this morning and hobbled around without a shoe on. I sat as much as I could. It seemed to be doing OK with ibuprofen, but still uncomfortable in certain positions. Today I went in to the doctor's office and found out that I either just bruised it horribly, or I could have a fracture from a ligament tearing off a small piece of bone when the foot was bent backwards. I'm supposed to see if significant improvement happens by Monday, and if not, go in for an x-ray.

So...as I am only able to walk around by limping and keeping my right foot up on my toes, my Christmas shopping plans for this weekend have been cancelled. My mom thinks that this may have happened because I need to slow down. And she affirms that the ability to hurt oneself due to klutziness runs in the family. Whether or not I think that is true, I certainly appreciate the ability to walk around effortlessly more now than two days ago.

I am currently trying to find a comfortable position to sit and keep my foot elevated. It's tricky, because a pain will shoot up my foot and leg if there's pressure in the wrong spot. Arg!!!! Hopefully this will all improve by Monday, and I'll be back to normal. In the meantime, I'm going to be the couch-warmer of the family...or the window-seat warmer. I guess I'll be the one testing the new heated mattress pad that I got for the window seat!

2 comments:

Pam Elmore said...

Ouch... oh, Ginger, I'm so sorry. I hope your leg/foot/ankle heals quickly!

Jen said...

Sorry to hear about your foot Ginger! Hope it heals quickly and doesn't slow you down "too" much! wink wink