Friday, March 28, 2008

News from the Pond

It's been 99 days since I tripped on those concrete steps and injured my foot. For the first 4 weeks, I saw improvement. Once I went back to teaching at the college in mid-January (and teaching a night class 4 hours one night a week), it got worse. Then I started wearing the air-cast, and then it improved again for about 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately the progress slowed and then stalled. I have not seen things improve for several weeks now. I was referred to a foot specialist last week, who ordered an MRI to help determine what exactly the injury is. The MRI is this Sunday morning at 7:45. It will take 45 minutes for my ankle and 45 minutes for my foot.

Unfortunately, we now know that Avritt is also allergic to cashews. He ate a peanut (which he isn't allergic to) from a Trail mix that had cashews in it. He had a reaction within minutes, which basically was one side of his mouth swelled, and he threw up. I gave him benedryl, which is a first course of action, and waited to see if I would need to administer the Epi-pen. Thankfully, his symptoms did not worsen. I will definitely need to be very careful about screening his food. No nuts other than peanuts from here on out - and then just peanuts that aren't in a mix, like peanut butter or a jar of honey roasted peanuts.

Isaac and I went to Book Bingo at his school tonight. Everybody brought a book, and then we put them all together in a pot. When someone got Bingo, they picked a book from the pot. It was a lot of fun and Isaac came home with five books.

Four more days until Spring Break (at least for one of my jobs).

No comments: